What are the essential qualities and skills for becoming a good pastry cook? Is training necessary? What level of experience is required? The ITHQ provides you with all the details you need to know about this occupation.
Duties of a pastry cook
- Assume responsibility for a production section
- Ensure compliance with the standards required by the pastry chef
- Prepare and finishes pastry parts
- Manage inventory and orders for their section
- May work in a restaurant, hotel, caterer or pastry shop
Qualities of a pastry cook
- I’m curious and creative.
- I love trying out new ingredients and recipes.
- I have a strong sense of aesthetics.
- I have good physical stamina.
- I’m thorough and organized.
- I like to work independently, but I’m also at ease in a team.
Required experience and training
- You need at least 2 years’ experience in pasty-making before becoming a pastry cook.
- The number of years of experience required may vary depending on the type of establishment in which you work.