Pastry chefs are true artists. Reaching this level requires not only culinary and technical knowledge, but also management skills. The ITHQ provides you with all the details you need to know about this occupation.
Duties of a pastry chef
- Make decisions regarding the creation, preparation and finishing of desserts
- Plan product purchasing, team production schedules and profitability calculations
- May work in a restaurant, hotel, caterer or pastry shop
Qualities of a pastry chef
- I master all pastry techniques.
- I’m particularly inventive.
- I have a strong sense of aesthetics.
- I’m always on the lookout for new trends.
- I’m a good team leader and a good communicator.
- I’m comfortable with numbers.
- I have a strong sense of initiative and leadership.
Required experience and training
- You need between 5 and 10 years’ experience in pastry-making, including a few years in a supervisory role, before becoming a pastry chef.
- The number of years of experience required may vary depending on the type of establishment in which you work.