Becoming an entrepreneur in the tourism, hospitality or restaurant services industry
Many people dream of opening their own restaurant, inn or tourism business. But what are the essential qualities and skills for becoming an entrepreneur in this field? What training is required? What level of experience is recommended? The ITHQ provides you with all the details you need to know about this occupation.
Duties of an entrepreneur
- Develop a concept and business plan
- Plan budgets and obtain financing
- Implement a marketing strategy
- Hire reliable, competent staff
- Define major objectives with their team and assigns task execution
- Ensure the efficiency and profitability of operations
- Ensure customer satisfaction
- Analyze results and redirect operations if necessary
Types of positions
Here are a few avenues to explore for those with an entrepreneurial disposition:
- Owner of an independent or franchised restaurant, café or bar
- Owner of an in-home catering or chef service
- Owner of a pastry shop, bakery or grocery store
- Owner of a hotel, inn or outfitter
- Owner of a travel agency, tour operator or tourism services company
Qualities of an entrepreneur
- I have ideas, talent and expertise in my field.
- I have a solid background in operational management.
- I’m a leader and a good communicator.
- I’m business-oriented and comfortable with numbers.
- I’m strategic, resourceful and versatile.
- I have a good capacity to handle both risk and stress.
- I’m not afraid to get 100% involved in a project.
Required experience and training
- Training is not a prerequisite for becoming an entrepreneur. However, management training such as the ones offered at the ITHQ may help you develop the necessary skills, experience and network needed to start your business project with confidence and credibility.
- In addition to specialized management training, further training in business start-up is recommended for those wishing to launch their own business. Many of these types of training are actually offered free of charge.
- Finally, the services of a mentor, coach or business group could help you become successful in your entrepreneurial project.