What are the essential qualities and skills for becoming a hotel manager? Is training necessary? What level of experience is required for this type of position? The ITHQ provides you with all the details you need to know about this occupation.
Duties of a hotel manager
- Plan, organize, direct and control the activities of a hotel or hotel department
- Ensure the efficiency and profitability of the services offered
- Ensure customer satisfaction
- Manage human resources
- Perform follow-up and coordinate the different establishment departments
Types of positions
In the hotel industry, manager positions are usually as follows:
- General manager
- Accommodation manager
- Reception manager
- Housekeeping manager
- Sales and business development manager
- Restaurant services manager
- Events and banquets manager
Qualities of a hotel manager
- I have a good sense of analysis and strategy.
- I’m a good team leader and a good communicator.
- I have a strong sense of initiative and leadership.
- I’m comfortable with numbers and have a good head for business.
- I have both a solid background and experience in operational management.
- I’m always on the lookout for trends and innovations.
- I have a good capacity to handle stress.
Required experience and training
- You need at least 3 years’ experience in a supervisory role in the hotel industry before becoming a department manager.
- General managers require 5 years’ experience in a departmental management role.
- Some organizations require a university degree for management positions.
- The number of years of experience required may vary depending on the type of establishment in which you work