Are you an international student interested in studying cooking in Canada? The Professional Cooking program will allow you to learn all the basic techniques of professional cooking while gaining maximum practical experience.
Until March 1
Course start date
18 months full-time (1 983 h)
Language of instruction
Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
This program designed specifically for international students will allow you to learn all the basic techniques of professional cooking and to familiarize yourself with Québec culture. This training will position you favourably in a sector where the demand for qualified professionals is high.
Program key elements
- Training course focussed on the basic techniques of French cuisine
- 3-month internship placement
- Action learning in the ITHQ’s restaurants
- French courses and integration into Québec culture
- Personalized support and inclusive learning environment
- Experienced and passionate instructors
Graduate from one of Canada’s leading hotel schools!
What you will learn
Techniques, rigour, teamwork
Program structure and courses
Duration and schedule
- Program starting in the fall
- Spread over 18 months on a full-time basis (3 course sessions, 1 summer internship and 1 end-of-program internship)
- Includes a total of 1 983 hours, including 1 368 hours of cooking courses, 120 hours of French courses, and 495 hours of compulsory internships
- Daytime courses and some practical applications in the evening
- 3-month paid summer internship (390 h) in Québec
- 3-week unpaid end-of-program internship (105 h) in the Montréal area
- Production of dishes for the ITHQ restaurants customers
- Participation in various gastronomic activities
- Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS) in Professional Cooking from the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur
- ITHQ Signature certificate in Professional Cooking
- Food Handler certification in hygiene and food safety from the Ministère de l’Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l’Alimentation du Québec
Admission application periods
- Be an international student, i.e., born outside of Canada and do not have permanent resident status in Canada or Canadian citizenship.
- Have a Secondary School Diploma (DES) or equivalent education.
- Demonstrate proficiency in oral and written English; refer to the Required language proficiency page for more details.
- Applicants must meet all of the requirements of their chosen program and provide all required documents. Incomplete or late admission application file will be considered ineligible.
- In order for your file to be considered complete, be sure to upload legible copies of all official documents required by your status in PDF format.
- Documents that are not in French or English must be accompanied by an official translation in French or English.
- Birth certificate
- Complete transcripts of the last 3 years of high school (equivalent to grade 9, 10 and 11)
- Complete transcripts for any subsequent years of study, if applicable
- Diploma(s) obtained
- Proof of language proficiency in English (language test result or proof of exemption)
- Work certificates attesting to work experience relevant to the program, if applicable
Costs and financial aid
Use the program fees calculator to find out about the costs of this program.
Financial aid and scholarships
Looking for financial support for your study project? Find out about the different options available to you.
At the heart of a brigade
Working as a cook requires the mastery of culinary techniques as well as a developed sense of aesthetics and organization. This training will allow you to develop all the necessary skills to access the kitchens of the best restaurants, which are constantly looking for new talent.
Careers to discover
Admission assistance Need a hand?
or toll-free at 1-800-361-5111, ext. 5110