What are the essential qualities and skills for becoming a wine and spirits consultant or representative? Is training necessary? What level of experience is required for this type of position? The ITHQ provides you with all the details you need to know about this occupation.
Duties of a wine and spirits consultant
- Inform and advise customers on the provenance, storage and tasting conditions of wines and other beverages
- Ensure sales and customer satisfaction targets are met
- Develop expertise in importing, distributing and marketing wines and spirits if working for agencies or wineries
- Know all their products inside out
- May work for the SAQ, an import agency, a winery, a distillery or a microbrewery
Qualities of a wine and spirits consultant
- I’m passionate about the world of wines and spirits.
- I like sales, marketing and I’m comfortable with numbers.
- I have excellent interpersonal skills.
- I’m thorough and organized.
- I master my native language perfectly and speak one or more other languages.
- I enjoy business travel.
Required experience and training
- Between 1 and 5 years of sales experience are required before becoming a wine and spirits consultant or representative.
- The number of years of experience required may vary depending on the type of establishment in which you work.