What are the essential qualities and skills for becoming a good tourist guide? What training is required? What level of experience is required for this type of position? The ITHQ provides you with all the details you need to know about this occupation.
Duties of a tourist guide
- Accompany, lead and supervise groups on tourist tours
- Provide information on history, culture, architecture and society, and answer visitors’ questions
- Confirm accommodation, restaurant and activity reservations according to schedule
- Solve itinerary or reception problems and ensures group safety
Qualities of a tourist guide
- I’m very comfortable in public.
- I’m curious and like to continually develop my knowledge.
- I’m a good communicator and have an excellent memory.
- I am bilingual or multilingual.
- I’m thorough and organized.
- I love telling stories.
- I have good physical stamina.
- I’m resourceful and have a good sense of leadership.
- I’d like a position that would allow me to travel.
Required experience and training
- To become a tourist guide in the city of Montréal, you must complete the ITHQ’s Montréal Tourist Guide training program.
- A minimum of 1 year of customer service experience is required to qualify for a tourist guide position.
- The number of years of experience required may vary depending on the type of organization for which you work.