What are the essential qualities and skills for becoming a good maîtres d’hôtel? Is training necessary? What level of experience is required to work as a maître d’hôtel? The ITHQ provides you with all the details you need to know about this occupation.
Duties of a maître d’hôtel
- Coordinate all dining room activities
- Ensure that service meets customer expectations and requirements
- Supervise front-of-house staff and assist management with management, logistics and communication tasks
Qualities of a maître d’hôtel
- I’m passionate about the world of gastronomy, wines and spirits.
- I enjoy being in contact with customers, anticipating their needs and creating pleasant experiences.
- I’m a good team leader and a good communicator.
- I’m thorough and organized.
- I have good interpersonal and listening skills.
- I like to be in action and work as part of a team.
- I have a strong sense of initiative and leadership.
- I have a good capacity to handle stress.
- I’m not afraid of atypical working hours.
Required experience and training
- You need 2 to 5 years’ experience in restaurant services before becoming a maître d’hôtel.
- The number of years of experience required may vary depending on the type of establishment in which you work.