Find out what you need to know to become a chef. From basic skills to training, learn what it takes to rise through the ranks of a brigade. The ITHQ provides you with all the details you need to know about this occupation.
Duties of a chef
- Make decisions concerning the creation, preparation and finishing of dishes
- Choose the staple foods that will make up the menu
- Plan the brigade’s schedules
- Handle profitability calculations
Qualities of a chef
- I’m a good team leader and a good communicator.
- I have a strong sense of initiative and leadership.
- I’m comfortable with numbers.
- I master all cooking techniques.
- I have good physical and mental stamina.
- I’m always on the lookout for new trends.
- I like making decisions.
Required experience and training
- You need between 6 and 10 years’ experience in the kitchen, including a few years in a management role, before becoming a chef.
- The number of years of experience required may vary depending on the type of establishment in which you work.