What to do before you come

Subscribe to our newsletter

(French only)

What to do before you come

Once you receive your notice of admission from the ITHQ, you must immediately start the process to formally request permission to study in Quebec and Canada. Note that certain costs will apply.

First, you will need to request a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies from the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI).

Once you receive your CAQ, you need to apply for a study and work permit for students (work-study and internship programs) and for a visa, if applicable, with the Canadian visa office at the Canadian embassy in your country.

Requirements for entering Canada

When you arrive at the Montréal-Trudeau Airport or a Canadian border crossing as an international student, you need to present the following official documents:

  • Your Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies
  • Your study and work permit or letter of authorization from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
  • Your visa, if applicable
  • A passport that is valid for your entire stay
  • Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • Your official notice of admission from the ITHQ
  • Proof of health and hospital insurance

Important: As an international student, you must be covered by health and hospital insurance for the duration of your studies. This insurance must provide coverage in Quebec and any other country where you may do an internship. If you do not have sufficient insurance, you will need to join the ITHQ group insurance plan for international students.

The Government of Quebec has social security agreements with certain countries. Citizens from these countries are covered throughout their studies under the Quebec health insurance plan starting from the date of validity of their CAQ (consult the list of participating countries.) If you are eligible for the Quebec health insurance plan under a social security agreement, please see your national or regional health agency to get a certificate of insurance before coming to Quebec.

Make your arrival a snap!

Accueil Plus is a free service for new international students arriving at Montréal-Trudeau airport to study at a Quebec university or college.

This service offers:

  • Streamlined procedures with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
  • A reception service of the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion du Québec (MIDI)
  • An information booth at the airport 

Once you have your letter of approval to come to Canada and your plane ticket to Montreal, register online to make your arrival to the country that much easier.


Financial aid

International students are not eligible for the Government of Quebec’s financial aid program. However, you can contact the appropriate officials in your country of citizenship or residence for information about scholarships or bursaries.

Living expenses

To get permission to study in Quebec, applicants must demonstrate that they have the required financial resources to cover their tuition, transportation costs (round-trip travel from their country of origin), their settling in expenses for the first year, and their living expenses for their entire stay.

Consult the table of estimated living expenses of the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion du Québec for 2016.

Useful links

Housing options in Montreal

The links below are for information purposes only. The ITHQ does not verify these agencies or classified ads sites and is not responsible for these services in any way.

Apartment rentals

Student residences