Insurance for international students

Subscribe to our newsletter

(French only)

Insurance for international students

Compulsory health insurance 

  • As an international foreign student, you must take out the ITHQ’s mandatory private insurance unless you are eligible for an exemption (see below).
  • The costs for this mandatory insurance are listed in the Costs section on each program page.
  • To purchase this insurance, you must pay the fees indicated in your ColNET student account.
  • Please note that this insurance offers coverage in Quebec and (under certain conditions) in the country or countries where you will do your internships. 

Possible exemptions

  • Some countries have a social security agreement with the Government of Quebec that allows their nationals to receive benefits under the Quebec health insurance plan for the duration of their studies (consult the list of signatory countries).
  • Before leaving for Quebec, students who are nationals of one of the countries that have signed an agreement with Quebec must obtain proof of Social Security membership before leaving their country of origin.
  • Upon arriving in Montreal, you must go to the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) with the required proof of Social Security membership and the following documents: passport, Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) and proof of full-time registration.

Need more information?

Our International Students Service will give you more information on this topic once you are officially admitted to the ITHQ. However, if you have any questions, you can contact us at